We are delighted to inform that Dr Augusto Zimmermann, President of the Western Australian Legal Theory Association (WALTA), has received a standing ovation at the end of his speech during the 2017 Conference of the Samuel Griffith Society.
The Samuel Griffith Society is a learned society of leading lawyers, judges and legal academics across the country. It is named after Sir Samuel Walker Griffith, First Justice of the High Court of Australia.
One of its main purposes is to promote discussion of constitutional matters and to encourage a wider understanding of the virtues of the Australia’s Constitution and the nation’s achievements under the Constitution.
The 2017 Society’s conference was held in Perth, 25th-27th August. This year’s conference received a record attendance, with more than 250 people attending the highly prestigious event.
Besides Dr Zimmermann, other speakers for the conference included:
- The Hon Patrick Keane AC – Justice of the High Court of Australia
- The Hon Wayne Martin AC– Chief Justice of Western Australia
- The Hon Nicholas Hasluck AM – Former Judge of the Supreme Court of Western Australia
- The Hon Justice Robert Mitchell – Judge of the Supreme Court of Western Australia
- Chancellor David Flanagan – Chancellor of Murdoch University
- The Hon Tony Abbott MP – 28th Prime Minister of Australia
- The Hon Dr Michael Nahan – Leader of the Opposition in WA Parliament
- Senator David Leyonhjelm – Senator for the State of New South Wales
- Senator James Paterson – Senator for the State of Victoria
- Professor Neville Rochow SC – Professor of Law and Senior Counsel in South Australia
- Associate Professor Michelle Evans – Deputy Head of School, Curtin University
- Chris Kenny – Editor and Columnist, The Australian newspaper
- Peta Credlin – Former Chief of Staff to the Prime Minister of Australia
- John Stone – Former Secretary to the Treasury and Co-Founder of the Samuel Griffith Society
- Keith Wolahan – Barrister at law in the State of Victoria
- Daniel White – Special Counsel, Mills Oakley WA
Dr Zimmermann addressed the topic of “The Unconstitutionality of Outlawing Political Opinion”. The conference program can be found here.
This year’s conference was particularly special. It celebrated the 25th Anniversary of the Samuel Griffith Society. On 27 April, Dr Zimmermann was specially invited to be the sole speaker at a special event in Perth that celebrated the Society’s Anniversary.
Dr Zimmermann was the only speaker to receive a standing ovation at the end of his speech. “I am deeply honoured and humbled by this spontaneous demonstration of support and appreciation for my academic work”, Dr Zimmermann said.
WALTA congratulates our distinguished President, Dr Zimmermann, on this important recognition of his impressive academic work.